[Asterisk-Users] Problem with Asterisk and Grandstream HT286

Álvaro Palma apalma at opschile.cl
Mon Apr 10 13:50:49 MST 2006

I've dealing with this issue for a while, and I'd really like to know if
anybody has experienced the same pain before :-)

I've a lot of Grandstream HandyTone 286, loaded with the latest firmware
(1.0.8.16) from the GS website. In my sip.conf, this ATA's are
configured as:

[05]
type=friend
username=05
secret=XXXX
callerid="User 05"
host=dynamic
nat=yes
qualify=yes
disallow=all
allow=g729
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
canreinvite=yes

Also, in the ATA's configuration, I've set up the RTP port to random.

The problem is that, without any notice, in some (NOT ALL) of the calls
between ATA's, they keep mute after the call has started. I've been
tracking the problem with Ethereal, and it seems to be an issue related
to the REINVITE sequence sent after the communication has been
established. I've also been emailing the people of GS, and they tell me
that the problem is the definition of the REINVITE sequence in Asterisk,
which, according to them, is buggy, so their solution is to use a "real
sip proxy, like SER".

Is there something true in this story, or simply the ATA's SIP sequence
handling is the buggy one? Has anybody suffer this problem before? BTW,
there's no NAT issues involved in the audio path, since all the
equipment (ATA's and Asterisk server) are in the same LAN segment.

Thanks a lot for your attention.

--
Atly.
Alvaro Palma