[Asterisk-Users] Force codec

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Apr 8 20:22:26 MST 2006

Steve Totaro wrote:
> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>
>> Michael Strelnikov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>    Is it possible to force using codec depends on extension? For
>>> example,
>>> voice codec is ILBC and with some prefix fax code should be ulaw.
>>

>> [root at fs-1 asterisk]# grep CODEC asterisk-1.2/doc/*
>> asterisk-1.2/doc/README.variables:${SIP_CODEC} Set the SIP codec for a
>> call
>> [root at fs-1 asterisk]#
>

> Great replies Manx.  Not only do we get our answers, we are being
> enabled to answer them ourselves in the future.  I like your style.

Well that trick works sometimes, and sometimes it don't.

I've grepped myself half-blind in the same file areas, except that I'm
wondering whether the same can be done with a pair of IAX endpoints.

A couple of mails to a person with a pretty good working knowledge of
the codebase got me the answer, "Well that's kind of a grey area. . "

:-)

B.