[Asterisk-Users] G723 -> ulaw codec problem

Sam Tam sam at netenable.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 13:58:24 MST 2006

I don't know whether it is just me but here is my setting.

I have here a voip softswitch < - > asterisk < - > VoIP provider.

I use G723 on softswitch, ulaw for asterisk and then ulaw again for VoIP
provider.

The reason why I don't use 723 on my voip provider is because it does not
support it and my softphone does not support ulaw. + my softswitch can't do
codec convert.

So here is my problem. I experience lag on some occasions when the calls get
pick up and some lags with lose of voice. Then it also have problem bridging
the switch and asterisk server when the call first get pick up.

I have used 729 and find those problems are gone. I am currently using the
free IPP g723 and 729 license and I can't see why it works for 729 and not
723.

If I can get someone to enlighten me then it would be great..

Sam