[Asterisk-Users] How to restrict simultaneous phone registrations

Bryan Mahin bryanm at uneta.com
Wed Apr 5 19:50:08 MST 2006

:) I should rephrase my question. And included a bit more information on
what I am trying to accomplish.

Solution 1 (preferred)

I am working on an asterisk installation where most end users will use
softphones. If I am not able to lock down calling to one phone at a
time, the end users will share their login information with friends,
family, neighbors, and the some girl they meet on myspace.

Currently, I am able to register two phones at separate locations with
the same account on each phone and make concurrent calls.

For example, If I login extension 333 at location A, and 333 at location
B, simultaneous calls can be placed from both phones at the exact same
time. I only want calls placed from extension 333 to work from either A
or B not A and B concurrently.

Here is my ideal solution. Location A wants to make a call, but location
B has a call in progress. Location B has to either close their phone, or
hang up before Location A can make the call.

OR.. Solution 2. :)
A way I can distinguish in my CDR the IP address or some other
recognizable difference between the two locations when they make
concurrent calls using the same extension.  The complication here is; I
can currently the log IP addresses, but as the end phones are on the
internet, Nat'd, and I am using a siparator for traversal. As a result,
my logs show the IP address of the siparator and I don't have any other
data to distinguish the end phones.

OR.. Solution 2.5
One thought I've had is to send logs from the siparator to a syslog
server, parse them, hunt for simultaneous calls placed by the same
accounts from different locations, and bill the end users accordingly.
But I really dislike this idea as no one likes to be hit with
surcharges.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bryan Mahin