[Asterisk-Users] Pickup() h323

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Apr 5 13:41:02 MST 2006

Jeremy McNamara wrote:
> Digium paid for ooh323, for whatever reasons that is beyond me, but it

> has proven to be no better than any H.323 channel driver, so I hope
they
> got their money back.

Better is subjective in this case.  There's no doubt that chan_ooh323
has some warts.  On the other hand it has NO external library
requirements,
and works out of the box with Cisco's Call Manager.

One could argue that Call Manager is crap.  Fine, that doesn't change
the fact some of us are stuck with it.

Chan_h323 did not work with CCM, and a query/bug report was dismissed,
basically stating that Cisco was F'd up and the channel would not be
updated to work with it unless funded. (fair, but not helpful)

Chan_oh323 worked with CCM, but suffered from the external library
requirements.

Chan_ooh323 just worked.  The code is, to a infrequent programmer,
easy to read, extend and fix bugs.

So for me chan_ooh323 is a 'better' H.323 channel driver.

Dan