[Asterisk-Users] Lockups after Asterisk upgrade

Patrick Staehlin patrick at staehlin.org
Mon Apr 3 11:31:49 MST 2006

Hi

We've recently updated our Asterisk 1.0.x installation to 1.2.4. Since this
upgrade we're experiencing sporadic lockups of our Linux server. By lockup I
mean no response from network-traffic or keyboard-input. However, the kernel
seems to be running as it responds to SysRq, and NMIs.
If we terminate all processes using "SysRq + E" the machine instantly gets
responsive again (with most processes terminated, that is).
As this machine doubles as our fileserver it's becoming a possible source for
data loss.

The lockups usually occur right after a call originating from the
voip-provider is hung up by the caller before someone takes the call. It
doesn't matter if the call triggers a group-ring or is simply being forwarded
to an extension. As the lockups are semi-reproducible, we're suspecting
Asterisk is causing the lockups by some run-away processes but can't verify
that (due to the machine being locked-up).

FreePBX is used to manage the Asterisk server's configuration. We have six
incoming trunks from the provider, and six extensions. The extensions are
Snom-phones.
The server is running a 2.4.27-2-386 (Debian) kernel. Installed is the
Debian-Stable distribution. We've got the 1.2.4 packages from
asterisk.peen.net (backports doesn't serve a 1.2.x release yet).

I'd gladly post further information about our setup in order to resolve this
problem.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick