[Asterisk-Users] call transfer to external phone number

Keith Geffert kgeffert at voxmicro.net
Mon Apr 3 08:12:55 MST 2006

SIP transfers happen out of band, so the context is the sip phone's
context noted in sip.conf.

For Inbound and outbound (ie Dial application), the context is the entry
point in the dial plan.  If you need features.conf transfers to work in
a specific context you need to set the __TRANSFER_CONTEXT variable
before the Dial application so asterisk knows what context to look for
extensions.

The relevant wiki page:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+config+features.conf

example:

exten => 101,1,set(__TRANSFER_CONTEXT=vm-internal)
exten => 101,n,Macro(superdial,SIP/vm-ext1&SIP/outsip/9995551212,15,tr,
,pstn,2,${CALLERIDNAME},${CALLERIDNUM},pstn,101 at vm-internal)

So .. in this instance, when we outdial the cellphone (9995551212) with
the 't' option, we support transfers.  If we don't set the transfer
context as above when the # key is hit.  Asterisk is looking in the
[inbound] context because that is where extension 101 was dialed from.
But ... exten 101 doesn't want those available extensions, they want the
same set of extensions they have at their sip phone so they can transfer
to voicemail and so on.

Since our outbound pattern dials to SIP/outsip also exist in
[vm-internal] .. calls can be transferred out to PSTN numbers.

in any case.. this is how I got it to work. :)