[Asterisk-Users] update asterisk in a production system

Aaron Daniel amdtech at shsu.edu
Mon Apr 3 05:17:40 MST 2006

This depends on how many servers you have handling your call center, and
if you have time where you can afford down time if you don't have
redundant servers.

It's generally best to find a version that works, and only upgrade if the
new version has bug fixes or feature additions that you would need.  We've
got redundant servers on most of our required services (t1 lines and call
servers) so in place upgrades work great provided we do them when there's
minimal load.  I would suggest having a test asterisk server up and
running for a week or two before doing any upgrades to primary call
servers, so you can watch for any show-stopper bugs before upgrading.

Long story short, if Asterisk 1.2.4 works great for you, and the new
version doesn't have anything you don't absolutely have to have, don't
upgrade.

Aaron