[Asterisk-Users] Newbie question - sip.conf incoming contexts

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Apr 1 07:27:19 MST 2006

> I've been struggling with the documentation for months on this simple
> subject...
> I still have not been able to get this concept down...
>

> I have 3 sip accounts (PSTN DID's) that come into my asterisk box
> and give me phone service from my itsp via SIP.
> I for the life of me have not been able to figure out how to get them to
> come in to 3 seperate contexts!
>
> This must be simple but I am missing the point.
> All 3 accounts need a register line (I think) in order to work.
>
> The register lines work great but I have not been able to figure out
> how to get the other two lines to come into another seperate inbound
> context that I have defined other than the one that is specified
> in the [general] section of sip.conf
>
> The /extension number does not do the trick for me
>
> I wuld like for these incoming lines (from the same itsp) to truly
> land in one of 3 seperate starting contexts in my dialplan based
> on what phone number (account) they are.
>
> Thank you very much for your help... this must be simple
> but I have not really figured it out in several months of playing
> around and reading....
>
> I've figured out a TON of other complex things, but this simple
> incoming context thing has me a bit stumped.
>
> I've tried a few things in my sip peer like
> register=yes which was suggested on a web site but it does not work.
>
> I also tried maing the peer name match the account (phone number)
> of the sip account and that did not do it either.
>
> The peers work fine as outgoing but I've not figured out how to make them
> work for incoming as my sip itsp requires that I 'register' for inbound
> calls.

What version of asterisk? (been lots of changes happening to the sip
code over the last year)

Have you looked at the sample configs in /usr/src/asterisk/configs?

It would be far more helpful if you'd post your register statements and
each of the sip contexts from sip.conf.  Might also include the section
of your dialplan that each of the sip.conf contexts refer to.