[Asterisk-Users] How to get names into the *411 directory

Doug Doug at NaTel.net
Fri Sep 30 19:23:39 MST 2005

Here's how to get names in the directory:

Even though there is some information here:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+Directory
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+config+voicemail.conf

It's not obvious how to make certain that there
are names available when someone dials *411.

These names are stored in "voicemail.conf".  I believe
that they get put there each time you add an extension.

Since I usually don't know who will be getting which
extension, for the "Display Name" I just put something
like "XYZ Corp, Ext. 101".  Because of this, listings
in "voicemail.conf" show up like this:

10101 => 101,XYZ Corp Ext. 101,Support at MyVOIPco.com,...
10105 => 105,XYZ Corp Ext. 101,Support at MyVOIPco.com,...
10104 => 104,XYZ Corp Ext. 101,Support at MyVOIPco.com,...

Once you know who goes with which extension you
can edit the "Display Name" for each extension,
or you can edit "voicemail.conf" manually:

10101 => 101,Sue Smith,SueSmith at XYZcorp.com,...
10105 => 105,Mike Nelson,MikeNelson at XYZcorp.com,...
10104 => 104,Debbie Anderson,DebbieAnderson at XYZcorp.com,...

That is, put in the persons' name after the extension
instead of some extension name.

If you want to search the directory by FIRST name, instead
of by last name then in "extensions_additional.conf"
change this:

     DIRECTORY_OPTS =

to this:

     DIRECTORY_OPTS = f