[Asterisk-Users] G.729 patent in France

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Sep 30 05:18:08 MST 2005

Amaury BOSSE [a.bosse at courantmultimedia.fr] wrote:
> I am building an Asterisk PBX with voicemail and music on hold functions.
> An ISDN BRI line will also be available and G.729 IP-phones will be used.
>
> Are there patents rights applicable to France?

The European Parliament recently voted 648 to 14 to reject the Computer
Implemented Inventions Directive.  The directive was supported by large
monopolists such as Microsoft and would have thrown us into the same
software patent minefield as the USA.

The defeat of the bill means that individual EU member countries will
continue to make their own decisions on what is patentable, rather than
being hamstrung by the proposed EU-wide bill.  Software-only patents are
not valid in England and probably not in France, although that's for you
to check.  I understand that a limited number of software patents are
valid in Italy.

Software is protected by copyright, and that's enough.  Ideas are free.

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz