[Asterisk-Users] Hardware Specifications

José Pablo Ezequiel Fernández pablo.fernandez at reliable.com.ar
Thu Sep 29 11:53:21 MST 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 15:35, Dan Journo wrote:
> Does anyone know where i can find out how powerful a machine has to be to
> handle a certain amount of call volume?
>  Eg, 2Ghz is enough processing power to maintain 100 calls at a time.
> 4Ghz is engouh to process 250 calls etc etc.
Just to show you how hard that wourd be, your mesuring units are extremely
useless. Messuring processor power using megahertz is like mesurring speed of
vehicles by messuring horsepower. You'll find big trucks with more
horse-power that a F1 car, yet, the big truck is slower.
Frecuency of procesor only guarantees the same change in power in the same
branch of processors, like comparing two P4, or two Athlon XP, but if you
start comparing AMD vs Intel, that is no longer valid, and let me drop a
different processor like a Spark, PowerPC, etc, and the comparation is very,
very useless.
We should start comparing procesors with better mesurring units, like flop
(floating point operations per second).
Even then, when messuring a system for something like handling calls, bus
speed may be important, as well as network speed (don't neglect those other
aspects). If you do transcoding of all the calls, then you'll need a lot of
processor ;)
--
José Pablo Ezequiel Fernández