[Asterisk-Users] Remotely dialing calls from a polycom phone

Eric Lawman elawman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:53:27 MST 2005

I have a Polycom IP600 serving as a receptionist phone. We developed a call
manager via c/gtk that runs on a touchpad. It allows them to transfer calls,
transfer to voicemail, page, etc. The problem is this: When paging another
phone from the touchpad, I have to open a channel to the receptionist phone.
This rings the receptionist phone. When she picks up, it then pages the
desired person. This is fine, except it can be confusing for the
receptionist. "Why do I have to answer the phone so I can page someone?"
What I'm looking for is a little more direct integration between the
touchpad and the polycom.

So, the question is, does anyone know of a way to initiate a call on a
polycom via the remote access port. I was thinking of something similar to
the way you can reboot one using a NOTIFY message containing "check-sync".
I've tried monitoring the sip messages between the phone and asterisk, but
so far have only succeeded in making a phone call itself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eric.