[Asterisk-Users] T.38 Faxing -> at astricon ?

Roger Schreiter roger at planinternet.de
Thu Sep 29 02:42:20 MST 2005

Kresimir Petrovic schrieb:
> What do you mean more supporters. t.38 is only *reliable* way for transporting
> fax over ip. Fax over g711 is pure luck...

Hi,

it is rather a question of IP quality than good luck.

I think, 99.9% of all faxes are transported via G.711.
Is there any telecom network operator left using ananlog
lines? Analog is either the 5 meter way from the fax machine to
the BRI/PRI adapter at the wall or maybe even the 1000 meter way from
the home/office to the next switch of the network operator.

Thus the main difference is the high quality of the managed
ISDN network compared to the unmanaged IP network.

That's why, imho, analog faxing via VoIP is not pure luck,
since one _does_ know the relevant parameter.

If I have some means for a very good internet connectivity,
faxing will work without problems, if not, you are right,
it will become pure luck or just impossible (without T.38).

Roger.