[Asterisk-Users] Correction: Asterisk sound files, audio bandwidth, and sound quality

Sherwood McGowan madprofzero at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 17:29:28 MST 2005

I have to barge in here...

Guys, the reason the audio sounds like hell is most probably for mulitple
reasons. First, what codec is the prompt encoded? Next, what codec is the
client using? If you're using, for example SIP clients with G711u, asterisk
has to re-encode (on the fly I might add) the prompts to ulaw format to be
usable to that client. Only on GSM based clients would the audio sound
mildly like the actual file. Also, what's the current load, memory, how many
calls are running on the server, how many calls on hold listening to that
music? If you're not encoding only one format for those calls, guess what,
you're incurring load to re-encode to each format in use on the fly.

I am a music producer, have been for several years. One of the things I do
on the side from my day job as a VOIP Admin/Engineer is make prompts and
music for customer's PBXs. I typically make a WAV file, and then do my
filtering, compressing, and finally normalizing, then save it. Finally, I
put the files in the server in question and use sox to re-encode multiple
formats: gsm, ulaw, alaw, etc.... You'll find the results are much better
than just allowing Asterisk to re-encode on the fly since it's busy handling
the rest of the system as well. Another way to help it is to only allow one
codec.

Sorry, but no one had hit on this yet.

Cheers
SKM