[Asterisk-Users] Correction: Asterisk sound files, audio bandwidth, and sound quality

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Sep 28 15:33:46 MST 2005

steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
>>When I listen to the GSM compressed prompts, I can hear subtle noise
>>when the person is speaking -- this is irrespective of whether I listen
>>to the prompts through the TDM-400 on an analogue phone or whether I do
>>so directly on a workstation. It has to be possible to do better than that.
>>
>>It doesn't have to be CD quality sound, but it should be clear. How can
>>the sound quality be improved within the limitations of an 8 kHz sample
>>rate?
>
> I presume you know the answer: augment the .gsm files with 8k sample rate
> .wave files?

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking. There are other ways to
improve sound quality, like changing the resolution.

I would like to hear from people who have had experience fine tuning
compressed audio to get the best result -- or, alternatively, from those
who have used raw 8 kHz audio with Asterisk instead of .gsm files.

I can't be the only person who hears the static in gsm compressed audio.
Everybody I've demonstrated this to hears it (through the phone, too).

I'm just trying to make Asterisk better.

-Stephen-