[Asterisk-Users] T.38 Faxing

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Wed Sep 28 15:18:33 MST 2005

Roger Schreiter wrote:

> We are currently testing a commercial fax library with the goal,
> to implement an IAX client as fax server, in order the send or
> receive some dozen faxes simultaniously. It is too early to
> say, if we'll succeed, but we hope so, and thus won't forget
> faxing through asterisk.
>
> This is _no_ announcement of a product, since we currently
> won't have the right to distribute the library, but we think,
> it would be very interesting to know, whether it works or not.
> Those, looking for a GNU licenced tool will have to wait for
> progresses of spandsp anyway.

The audio path between the DSP and the PSTN really cannot be over any
sort of a medium that will experience a frequent variance in the
latency.  So IAX is okay as long as the network will not "jitter".  This
is possible, and is especially possible when talking about a short,
short IAX connection over the loopback device.  If you involve any
traditional "VoIP" medium (like an average LAN, WAN, or the internet),
then the likelihood of the medium's variance in the latency will cause
data corruption to occur... and depending on the frequency and timings
of that data corruption will influence the likelihood of that data
corruption causing a fax failure.

See:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/iaxmodem/

I'm about to release 0.0.2 :-)

Lee.