[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-biz] Problem with sending fax from a SIP extension

u calanet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:05:54 MST 2005

On 9/27/05, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Search the archives
> 2. Search again
> 3. Now search the internet
> 4. The fact is that faxing over VoIP without T.38 doesnt really work.
> Because it works 60% of the time it doesn't mean that it works, until
> it works 99% of the time.
> Since Asterisk does NOT support T.38 it doens't support faxing over
> VoIP other solutions are available, search the wiki.
>

> On 9/26/05, Mark Armstrong <marmstrong at accaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> > I am having exactly the same problem.  Any information would be appreciated.
> > Faxing is a commercial proposition that my team is working on, any
> > limitations of Asterisk or E1 cards needs to be highlighted.
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Mark

I have a fax connected to a zaptel pci card (FXS).  Fax are sent right
into an FXO card connected to my PSTN.   I don't experience problems
but then again I am a light user.
Just out of curiosity, is the problem related to sending FAX via IAX
or SIP to another asterisk server?
if asterisk will support T.38 passthru to say Hylax Fax, does that
mean I need a Hylax fax daemon in every asterisk server?