[Asterisk-Users] BAD echo problems with Sangoma and, Telstra

yusuf yusuf at ecntelecoms.com
Wed Sep 28 08:56:25 MST 2005

>>We have an Asterisk 1.0.9 machine with a Sangoma A101 card fitted, it is
>>connected to a Telstra OnRamp E1 in Melbourne, Australia.  The problem
>>we are experiencing is extreme echo and clicking noises.
>>
>>These are only audible to the calling party, e.g. the person calling in
>>from the PSTN to Asterisk via the E1, the person on the SIP handset
>>cannot hear any echo or clicking, only the PSTN side can.

I have had the exact same issue you had.  This is what I did to fix it.

  in your zapata.conf try

echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=no

and in wanpipe#.conf try

[wanpipe1]
CARD_TYPE       = AFT
S514CPU         = A
CommPort        = PRI
AUTO_PCISLOT    = NO
PCISLOT         = 1
PCIBUS          = 3
FE_MEDIA        = E1
FE_LCODE        = HDB3
FE_FRAME        = NCRC4
FE_LINE         = 1
TE_CLOCK        = NORMAL
ACTIVE_CH       = ALL
TE_HIGHIMPEDANCE        = NO
INTERFACE       = V35
CLOCKING        = EXTERNAL
BaudRate        = 0
MTU             = 1500
UDPPORT         = 9000
TTL             = 255
IGNORE_FRONT_END = NO

[w1g1]
PROTOCOL        = HDLC
HDLC_STREAMING  = NO
ACTIVE_CH       = ALL
IDLE_FLAG       = 0x7E
MTU             = 1500
MRU             = 1500
TDMV_SPAN       = 1
TDMV_ECHO_OFF   = NO
MULTICAST       = NO
TRUE_ENCODING_TYPE      = NO

   As an aside, this says that we are being slave and the PBX is master.
And that is how it SHOULD work, but when the PBX guy put the PBX as
master, the line would not come up, so he put it as slave, and now all
is well.

good luck