[Asterisk-Users] call wating and call transfer

Warren Burstein warren at softov.co.il
Wed Sep 28 02:50:31 MST 2005

Recently I put callwaiting=yes in zapata.conf because customers want to
speak to the operator in person, not leave her a voicemail, when she's
busy with another caller.  But now she can't transfer either of the
calls (which she can do when there's only a single call).

The operator has an analog phone connected to a TDM400B FXS line.  The
calls are coming from PSTN lines connected to FXO lines on the TDM400B.

I searched the wiki and the list archives, found a message from this
January,
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-January/082367.html,
about the same issue, saying

>you can try using # as a way of transfering the call, but that's a blind
>transfer meaning that you will be prompted an extension number and the call
>will be transfered and that's it

It wasn't clear to me what sort of channel they were talking about, but
that would be fine, our dialplan will let the caller get back to the
operator if the transferred extension is busy or doesn't answer.  I
haven't used this feature before (I told the users to transfer calls by
flashing the switchhook) I tried on my test system in my office (the
production system is in another country) to dial one Zap FXS from
another and hit # and nothing happened.  Does the # transfer only work
when there is more than one call arriving on a channel?  Or does
something need to be done to enable this?  I searched the wiki and list
for "enable unattended transfer" and "enable blind transfer" but didn't
find the answer.  I did find in
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20tips%20zap%20transfer,
"How to transfer a call on a phone connected to a ZAP channel", a
remark, "You can try # as well instead of flash" but nothing about how
to enable # transfers.

Is there a difference between 1.0.9 (the production system) and
1.2.0-beta1 (the test system)?  Yes, I know I shouldn't be testing on a
different version ...

Here's the zapata.conf on my test system.  I didn't enable callwaiting
there - does that affect # transfers?

[channels]
language = en
musiconhold = default