[Asterisk-Users] SUCCESS - 512 Simultaneous Calls with Digital Recording

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Mon Sep 26 10:59:25 MST 2005

Waldo,

> Thanks for the information. If you don't mind answering: are you guys
> developing this solution for your internal needs (meaning serving UAs
> from within your enterprise) or are you planning on offering services
> to the public?

This solution is being developed for our internal needs.

> It's not that I'm really interested in your business or business
> model. I'm mainly curious to know how you will deal with potential UAs
> that are behind external NATs. Will you Asterisk "farm" stand behind a
> NAT or will it all be "publicly" accessible where no NAT translation
> or port forwarding will exist? I read the section on Asterisk and NAT
> on the wiki but still left me with some open questions.

Our SIP traffic will never leave our internal network.  There will be no
NAT/firewalls to traverse.  Calls to/from the PSTN will pass through a
Cisco AS5400HPX Universal Gateway that handles the TDM/VoIP translation.

> In my particular setup, I work in a small call center. I have Asterisk
> behind one NAT with port forwarding on port 5060 and ports
> 10000-20000, only because I have 2 remote agents. The rest of the
> agents are in-house. The remote agents themselves are behind other
> NATs (behind their DSL service provider). Some times my Asterisk
> queues have trouble contacting the remote agents. At first, I thought
> I could simply put a SER server on the public edge, but I'm not sure
> if that will really solve the problem. I question this setup in terms
> of stability and security. Even worse, what would happen if my boss
> decides to increase the remote agents?

I spoke to you privately about this and suggested using the IAX protocol
with IAXy devices, but you indicated you needed to use SIP.  Since we
are not dealing with remote agents in our implementation, that is really
all I can offer.  I hope that the list members will be able to help you
solve your problem.

Sincerely,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions