[Asterisk-Users] Cheap Time sources which is best?

Steve Gladden Asterisk at MichiganBroadband.com
Sat Sep 24 19:23:42 MST 2005

On the same P2 450Mhz box.....

I have tried both UHCI usb on a 2.4 kernel
and enhanced RTC on a 2.6 kernel.
Have not tried UHCI USB on a 2.6 kernel as of yet.

Both seem to work GREAT.

I have read in many places to be sure to use a digium card as a time source
and not to reply on the cheap solutions.

However I have regular meetme sessions of 5 and 6 people at the same time
that frequently go on for an hour or so and we have not noticed any
problems yet.

I'd like to know 'what is better' the enhanced RTC or UHCI-USB.
and at what point do you start to need a digium board for timing?

Seems that for even a low volume production system that I have not needed
a recommended timing source yet.

Thank you for your insight!

Steve