[Asterisk-Users] Message Waiting Indicator (MWI) for remote voice mail?

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 22:22:12 MST 2005

I have Asterisk voice mail setup locally. It works great, I'm impressed!
Some details about my system: I'm using a TDM22B card to interface with both
the PSTN and a VOIP provider. I'm running 1.2-beta from CVS.

I have a regular VTech phone plugged into one of the FXS ports.

Asterisk is able to indicate when a local voicemail message is waiting via
the LCD display of my analog phone. It also gives a broken dial tone. This
is achieved by specifying mailbox=<mb#> in zapata.conf and possibly also by
specifing adsi=yes in the same file.

The question I have is this:

I also have voicemail with my VOIP provider. Before jumping into Asterisk,
the VOIP provider could send the message waiting indicator to my phone when
I had new messages. After putting Asterisk between my analog handset and the
VOIP adapter, the message waiting indicator from the VOIP provider seems to
no longer get through to the phone.

The connection to the VOIP provider is Cable Modem -> Sipura 3002 -> TDM FXO
interface -> TDM FXS interface -> phone.

Is there a way for Asterisk to get notified and pass the message waiting
indicator on to my handset when there is a voice mail waiting at the VOIP
provider?