[Asterisk-Users] SOHO Survey / Creative Asterisk Solutions

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Sep 23 13:49:10 MST 2005

I have a USB based X10 controller (http://www.smarthome.com/1132u.html --
about US$40) connected to the Asterisk box.

Currently, it controls the sprinklers, kid's tv's and Xmas house lights.

I'm hoping my thermostat will die so I can justify replacing it with an
X10 based unit :)

I also have a TV card
(http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_goplus.html -- US$25 off
ebay) on the same box.

A couple of years ago, I cobbled up an email interface to the TV card so I
could send an email from my cell to tell it the channel, start time, and
duration to record.

It should be easy to add interfaces to these gadgets to Asterisk so I can
turn off the sprinklers when it starts raining in the middle of the night,
or to schedule a tv recording from the bar when the game's good and my
mates want to run, or to cool down the house when I come home
unexpectedly.

Another thought is to use Asterisk to start recording my favorite talk
radio station off the internet (with mplayer) if I hear something
interesting on the way to work.

Just another cog (Asterisk) in the world's best Tinker Toy set (Linux).

Thanks in advance,