[Asterisk-Users] CallerID issue

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Sep 23 13:59:08 MST 2005

> >That's kind of odd. Log into your accout at teliax.com and there is
> >a page where 'you' specify the callerid string for both sip and iax.
> >Its their web page, not mine, but that works for me.
> >
> >Their web page is sort of odd as you have to click on SIP or IAX before
> >entering the callerid string, but the page doesn't hint that you're
> >supposed to do that.
> >

> Hi Rich,
>
> Our caller id strings on the Teliax site are blank.  They told me that
> if those are left blank then I can set the callerid string to whatever I
> want from asterisk.  They say that what I'm doing should work and said
> it was probably an issue with the cell provider that I'm calling, which
> I have difficulty believing.

I hadn't heard that one before, and obviously have not tried that.

> I need to set the callerid from here because we plan to have multiple
> DID's at this site.

When I was playing with that several months ago, I noticed that setting
the calleridnum was working but not the calleridname. I assumed (maybe
incorrectly), that calleridnum was being forwarded through their network,
but they did nothing with updating the libd database for calleridname.

Therefore, if you set calleridnum to an actual telephone number that
"has been" properly defined in the libd database, it worked. But, if
you set calleridnum to some other number (such as a DID number that you
might have received from them), it did not work.

In case you're not aware, when calls are completed to a pstn number or
cell phone number, the telco will generally do a database dip to obtain
the calleridname (at the time of the call). If no one entered a calleridname
in the libd database, the telco will have no other alternative then to
provide Unknown. I would highly doubt that teliax.com is updating the
libd database since the majority of numbers they provide for DID numbers
are not owned by them; they obtain them through other service providers.