[Asterisk-Users] CPU load

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Fri Sep 23 01:32:41 MST 2005

Anders Svensson a écrit :

> Hi!
>
> Here comes a newbi question.
>
> I now that transcoding of codecs take a lot of cpu load. But if I want
> to receive all traffic as IAX and then want to send it out as SIP. Is
> it the same? Requires a lot of CPU and RAM?

I don't think so. Transcoding means that you are swapping a codec for
another (i.e. iLBC -> g.729), not swapping protocols.

That being said, it might be better to have either SIP or IAX both ways
so that you can support REINVITES (or IAX equivalent, 'transfer') and
shorten the media path as much as possible.