[Asterisk-Users] custom ring tone

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Sep 22 13:24:37 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 14:02 -0600, Colin Anderson wrote:
> >??
> >Ringback is provided by your PSTN provider until answer by asterisk.
> >You have no control until you answer
> >Then you go to IVR, VM or ??
>
> OP said T1/E1, so (usually) there's no ringing delay until Asterisk picks up
> like in a POTS line. Answering a T1/PRI line is transparent to the caller
> and then you can fake any ringtone you want. So:

Check your local laws on that, in America there was a telephone company
many many years ago that got into trouble for doing that type of stuff
as the caller was billed but got what they thought was a ring or busy
but never an answer.  I dont know exactly which state or what set of
laws the telco was found to have violated, but the call was not answered
technically yet answering supervision was sent.  The laws may have
changed by now or been obsoleted by new ones I have no idea.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378