[Asterisk-Users] Will Digium Wildard work with PCI-X or PCI Express

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Sep 22 13:19:35 MST 2005

Don't bank on it.  We were going to use a Wildcard as a timing source on
our Dell PowerEdge 6850 and the BIOS didn't see it.  Depending on the
PCI-X slot I installed it in, sometimes the box wouldn't even boot.  For
perspective the 6850 has 4 PCI-e slots, and 3 PCI-X slots (one 64-bit
133 MHz, two 32-bit 100 MHz).

I believe the timing is only needed for music on hold, IAX trunking, and
MeetMe conferencing.  We're not doing trunking or conferencing (for now)
so we're going with ztdummy.  If the timing isn't perfect only our music
on hold will suffer, which is no big deal.  If we run into other
problems, we might try popping our quad-span card in there just to see
if it works.

Keep in mind that Digium no longer produces Wildcards.  I'm not sure why
they don't work with our 6850 and the techs at Dell didn't know either.
Maybe they are not 100% PCI compliant.

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer