[Asterisk-Users] custom ring tone

Fernando Herrera fherrera at iplan.com.ar
Thu Sep 22 13:06:39 MST 2005

John,
>> Ringback is provided by your PSTN provider until answer by asterisk.
>> You have no control until you answer

Generally the ringback tone is sent by the last ClassV/Class IV switch in
the telephony path. This is for Telco's to send inband
error/progress/information announcements. However, some telcos just send
back the relase indicating a certain Release Cause Value and letting you (in
case you are another Telco) decide whether to play an announcement or not.

Marko,
I think that the DIAL command will match your needs. When you get an
incoming call to your asterisk (through any channel, let's say, just as an
example, the incoming call comes from an ITSP through a SIP channel) you
configure the Asterisk to send the Music On Hold as a ring back tone
(Dial(SIP/1234|90|m)). Though, when you got an incoming call, this will
happen:

1. The ITSP sends an INVITE to your asterisk
2. Asterisk answers with a TRYING
3. Then. Asterisk will send a 183 (Session Progress) and you start
transmiting RTP. Normally, you will send the RTP for ring back tone (tuuu
tuuu). Here, you will send music on hold through the RTP channel.
4. At this very same moment, the asterisk's end user's phone starts ringing.

You will be able to implement such thing with SIP or H.323 channels if you
connect to PSTN through an ITSP. In case your asterisk is connected to PSTN
through POTS, you will only be able to do it if you use ISDN. If you are
using FXS/FXO, you won't be able to do it, since in this case the ringback
tone is generated by the TELCO's Class V switch.

Kind regards,

Fernando Herrera