[Asterisk-Users] Any problems with Asterisk and "nice"

Chris Modesitt chris at octelecom.net
Thu Sep 22 00:26:45 MST 2005

Okay here is a quick breakdown of my situation; I have an asterisk server
with AMP installed.  Amp stores all of the CDRS in a mysql database and
comes with a nifty web based reporting tool that has worked well for me.
The problem I am running into is that my mysql database is nearing 2 million
records, when we run any reports our CPU load spikes occasionally causing us
some issues with our PBX in general.

The machine we run Asterisk on is a Dell 1850, 160 GB SCSI drives in a
mirror array, dual P4 3.06 ghz 2GIG Ram.

I am currently reprogramming the msyql database to only store 30 days worth
of information and archive the rest.  This will get rid of the majority of
our symptoms however the underlying problem is that the mysql/php/httpd
daemons can saturate the CPU and starve asterisk.  So my question is this,
is "nice" aka CPU scheduling going to be a solution that I will want to use
or should I use CPU affinity and tie the processes to a specific processor?
Or would I be wiser to move the mysql database and web server to another
box?

Hopefully I do not sound tremendously ignorant, if you have any suggestion
or comments please share.

Thanks in advance

Chris