[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 vs SIP Phones and adapters

canuck15 canuck15 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:33:05 MST 2005

I see there are a few phones out now that support IAX2.  I was wondering
what opinions people have about the viability of using IAX2 phones or
adapters vs SIP phones and adapters and where they think IAX2 is heading.  I
am well aware of the advantages of using IAX2 through NAT and for
interconnecting Asterisk Servers.  That is not really my question.  I am
strictly talking about a LAN with several IP phones, an Asterisk Server and
TDM400P FXO modules for connection to the PSTN.

I was suprised that I could not find much information on the Net (Asterisk
wiki, Asteriskdocs etc.)  There is some information from Mark Spencer but it
mostly just highlights the benefits and advantages of IAX2 over SIP.  I
would like to get other peoples opinions.  Especially about the
disadvantages such as it not being a standard outside of Asterisk, lack of
available hardware, uncertain future etc.