[Asterisk-Users] How to retrieve voicemail from an IP phone?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Sep 21 07:03:39 MST 2005

>     Does the user need to dial his extension just to retrieve the
> voicemails or he will dial other number to access those voicemails?

If a user dials 3998, they will be prompted to enter their mailbox
number (extension) and password. If they dial 3999, they will not be
prompted as the callerid parameter passes the extension number to the
voicemail app.

> In the config does it mean that when a user dial 3998 he will be able to
> retrieve those voicemails? So it means that every users must have a
> mailbox number for which they will retrive their voicemails? I'm really
> a newbie. =)

Every valid extension in your extensions.conf file that expects to have
voicemail must have a voicemail box entered in voicemail.conf. So, if you
define extension 299 in extensions.conf, then define 299 in voicemail.conf.

If that user picks up their phone and dials 3999, he will be placed
directly into his voicemail box without any prompts.