[Asterisk-Users] Intermitant delays on call setup.

Morgan Gilroy morgan at telappliant.com
Wed Sep 21 02:23:38 MST 2005

We are seeing this weird problem, it seems to happen at random periods
throughout the day from a few minuets to a up to an hour.

[Phone A] >--SIP--> [Asterisk] >--SIP--> [Phone B]
Both phones are snom 360's.
Asterisk is Stable 1.0.9
Pretty simple config, just a dial direct to each other like
Dial(SIP/phoneA,30,t)
Running Gentoo linux

When we make a call during one of the problem periods, from [Phone A]
extension to [Phone B] there is up to 2 seconds delay before A hears B.

Looking at a packet trace we see the SIP invites coming in and the calls
being setup ok, but on the call to B we see the RTP from B to * and A to
* but nothing being sent from * to either of the phones, then after
about a second we see a while bunch of RTP packets being sent out all in
one go to both phones. It does this 'bunching' a couple of times then
settles down to normal.

Id say it was some sort of timing problem or load problem, but during
these times conferencing etc works ok and there is no appreciable load
on the server or network.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Morgan Gilroy.