[Asterisk-Users] SUCCESS - 512 Simultaneous Calls with Digital Recording

Zoa zoachien at securax.org
Wed Sep 21 00:07:05 MST 2005

Hey ho,

I suppose you are the person from the digium forum :)

The reason i recommended you to use a ramdisk is because i think the
problem with recording to disk is saving 20ms of stream 1, then 20 ms of
stream 2, then 20ms of stream 3 etc etc.... meaning you write everytime
very small things. (with a lot of seeking).
Our best test results were with:

- buffering the recordings to a ramdisk, then
- on low load (at night) copy the files over the network (easy to shape
the pipe, so that you dont overload anything), This way, the memory
buffer will take care of the 'fragmentation' and not your harddisk.
- on the remove server, do all the mixing / indexing etc. (i really
don't mixing or converting between audio formats on the same server as
asterisk).

If you want to go even freakier, run asterisk (or you complete distro)
from a ramdisk.

Oh, another thing, for the people trying this the performance of hdparm
is not linear with the quality of your calls, tweaking your disks to be
faster will not help for asterisk when you do a copy. (in general).

I thought over your suggestion to use a sniffer to do the recordings,
you might pull it off, but will have to write your own to do so. (or go
to the expensive version of commercial sniffer applications).

Zoa.

www.asteriskguru.com