[Asterisk-Users] SUCCESS - 512 Simultaneous Calls with Digital Recording

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 20 17:09:31 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 18:37 -0400, Matt Roth wrote:
> List users,
>
> Over the last few days we have been working with MCI's development lab
> to test our Asterisk setup.  We were using a piece of hardware called an
> Abacus 5000 that is capable of creating and terminating thousands of SIP
> calls.  Initially, we could not get past 64 simultaneous digitally
> recorded calls without having call quality issues including dropped
> calls.  We identified an I/O bottleneck and rectified it by digitally
> recording to a RAM disk.  Using this method, we were able to digitally
> record 512 simultaneous SIP-to-SIP calls with 100% call completion.
>
> Our plan is to use the MONITOR_EXEC hook to call a custom program that
> will copy files to the hard disk at call completion.

Matt,

Interesting stuff. Did you test copying of the recordings on the ramdisk
to a local harddisk also during that 512 call load? Just wondering if
that copy action wouldn't also create an I/O bottleneck and cause call
quality issues under load. Did you consider using remote storage e.g.
via nfs, a fibre channel or iSCSI link to a SAN?

Regards,
Patrick