[Asterisk-Users] BackgroundDetect problem

Kevin Bockman asterisk at wunderkin.com
Tue Sep 20 10:03:20 MST 2005

Hi all,

I hate to ask such a simple question, but it has stumped me over the
past couple of days.

I have 2 asterisk servers connected to the house lan and also via a
crossover ethernet cable.  The original purpose of the crossover was to
create a private lan for TDMoE.

I have a TE410P in each machine using PRI.  I also have setup SIP and
IAX2 between both machines.

What I'm doing is generating the call via the manager on the 1st machine
and having it dial via Zap, IAX2, or SIP to the 2nd machine.  On the 2nd
machine, it plays vm-extension or my 'hello' file.

My problem is that when using BackgroundDetect with  SIP or IAX2, it
does not work with an  auto-generated call to the 2nd machine.  It works
fine using the PRI connection.  It also  works fine if I have it
generate the call and then dial my  SIP phone on the 2nd machine and I
say hello.

I tried monitoring the calls and I can hear the message being played
when I just have it dial the 2nd machine and not dial the phone.  It
never goes to the talk extension when using SIP or IAX, but does when
using Zap.

I'm always using the defaults for BackgroundDetect and the same sound
file when I call.  I can't for the life of me understand why it will
work using Zap  but not IAX2 or SIP.  It works if it dials my SIP phone
on the 2nd machine.  I tried recording that call and using that for the
basis of the sound byte on the 2nd machine and it doesn't work for the
automated calls.

1st machine (ZAP) -> 2nd machine = OK
1st machine (IAX2) -> 2nd machine = NO
1st machine (SIP) -> 2nd machine = NO

1st machine (ZAP) -> 2nd machine -> SIP phone = OK
1st machine (IAX2) -> 2nd machine -> SIP phone = OK
1st machine (SIP) -> 2nd machine -> SIP phone = OK

What's going on here?

Thanks,

Kevin