[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 Locking Up

Mark Johnson asterisk at astroshapes.com
Tue Sep 20 02:15:33 MST 2005

Ok...  I asked a question a few months back about a 7960 that a user
claims to be "shocking" her in her ear from time to time.  A few others
indicated they had similiar issues and alot of them seemed to stem from
power over ethernet.  Here's what we've done...  We replaced the phone,
ran two new cat5 cables to a different switch, put in a power brick and
disabled power over ethernet.

Over the last few months, the number of incidents of her getting shocked
have reduced to almost never, but the phone is displaying the same
symtoms as when she was getting the shock.  The phone seems to lock up.
We can not establish any type of pattern as to what causes it, but
here's what we do know.  She can be on a call and not touch any
buttons.  The soft keys will blank out and she loses audio as does the
person on the other end.   This has happened over both Zap and Sip
channels.  The strange thing is that if she waits about 20 seconds, the
LCD panel will sort of flash and she gets the call back!!  I never see
anything in the CLI that makes me think Asterisk is even aware it is
happening.

I've done some research and I found some people have had issues with
cell phone radiation locking up or rebooting a 7960.  Has anyone else
experienced this?  We tried removing her cell phone from the room and it
doesn't seem to make any difference.  We do, however, have a cell phone
repeater set up, but it's closer to alot of other users than her.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this?  Is there some type of
logging meter we can buy or rent that we could stick over there and
monitor the environment for a week or so?

As always, thanks for the help!!

Mark