[Asterisk-Users] Re: wav instead of gsm for vm-sounds?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 10:49:54 MST 2005

Damon Estep <damon at suburbanbroadband.net> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Do wav or sln versions exist of the standard Asterisk sounds by
> > Allison?
> > I mean the versions before GSM compression was applied, not just ones
> > obtained by uncompressing the GSM again.
>
> Not sure about that Tony, we recorded a full set of sounds on our own so
> we would have a consistent voice in our customizations. We also change
> all of the references from 'extension' to 'phone number'
>
> It took a little time, but well worth it.

Damon, thanks for the tips on recording (below). I was particularly
interested in the 10% time reduction. I had a few questions about
it:

a) are you doing a straight "speed-up", so that the frequency increases
by 11% as well as the speed? Or are you doing a pitch-preserving duration
adjustment?

b) You mentioned using 32kHz sampling to avoid artefacts, but doesn't
the time reduction conflict with this?

c) What is the nature of the perceived improvement? Does it make the
announcements just sound snappier?

Cheers
Tony

--