[Asterisk-Users] wav instead of gsm for vm-sounds?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Fri Sep 16 19:12:02 MST 2005

> Damon Estep wrote:
>
> > Is there a reference of codec to preferred format somewhere? What is
the
> > best format match for g.711u?
>
> They are all pretty obvious:
>
> G.711 mu-law: ulaw (or ul)
> G.711 A-law: alaw (or al)
> GSM: gsm
> G.729: g729
> Signed Linear (raw): sln (or raw)
>
> Just look at the source files in the formats directory to see which
> extensions map to which formats.

Sorry for being so dense, but I am a little lost on this. I know that
both TDM (zaptel) and g.711u are 8khz, 8bit, mono, raw PCM, so it makes
sense that the sound file is best stored as a pcm file, 8khz, 8bit,
mono.

What I can not decipher is what file name extension should be used,
should it be a .wav file encoded at 8k/8b/mono? Or are you telling me
that it should be .ulaw

Patience please... I know I should get this, bit I don't!

Thanks a million.

Damon