[Asterisk-Users] wav instead of gsm for vm-sounds?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 16 18:41:34 MST 2005

Damon Estep wrote:
> Do you simply replace the .gsm files with .wav files and it plays them
> in these apps, or is there more to it?
>
> I am talking about the built in functionality of vm, queues, agents --
> not the playback app.

Every attempt to play a file in Asterisk (that doesn't specify the
extension) will use the 'best' format it can find for the call's format.
The applications that ship with Asterisk do not specify any particular
format, so your best bet is to provide the files in all the formats you
expect your callers to be using, so Asterisk never has to transcode a
file playback. The same thing is true for voicemail recording; you
should record in every format your users might call in with, unless the
extra disk space consumption would be an issue.