[Asterisk-Users] How to access * thru router when ip address is not known

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Fri Sep 16 15:31:38 MST 2005

I came up with a solution a few years ago that only required a web
browser to get the current IP address.

It requires an account with ssh access allowed on a web host.

1) Install your public ssh key on the account where the web pages live.

2) If you are concerned about others getting your IP address create a
password protected web directory where dynamic IP host data will be stored.

3) create a script the is executed on the appropriate ip up condition.
On debian this script would be installed in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory
if you wanted it to run whenever a ppp link comes up. The script takes
the output of ifconfig and uses scp to update the web host. Just browse
and refresh to get the current IP address.

This provides the new address right away.  No need to wait for dyndns or
email propagation.

I should mention that I also have cron run the script every 20 minutes.
I did this after I had a situation where the dsl at the web host was
down for an hour or so. During that time  2 remotes changed address but
were unable to update my web host. Now I will get the new address within
20 minutes of recovering from a network outage.