[Asterisk-Users] How to access * thru router when ip address is not known

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Sep 16 15:26:57 MST 2005

Another method comes to mind similar to my last posted method, but for
*behind* a firewall if you have a static hostname but dynamic ip (lots of
ISP's do this):

traceroute -m1 my.statichostname.net | mail -s "My Asterisk IP address"
myemail at somewhere.com

Yet another method is,  a lot of Linksys / SMC bluebox routers also display
the external IP in their little management web site that they have. You
could use this in a shell script as follows:

getmyexternalip.sh

rm -f /etc/myexternalip.txt
wget --cache=off --http-user=admin --http-passwd=admin
--output-document=/etc/myexternalip.txt http://192.168.1.1/status.html
grep "WAN IP Address" /etc/myexternalip.txt | mail -s "My Asterisk IP
address" myemail at somewhere.com

Otherwise, DyDNS.org is the way to go.