[Asterisk-Users] Fax->Email for Hosted PBX

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Sep 15 09:33:12 MST 2005

We use SpanDSP to recieve faxes on our PRI, a couple hundred a day with a
failure rate of ~5% which is pretty good I think but enough to tick people
off. Always the same fax numbers fail. What I did is have an exception list
context that is run just before RxFax. If the caller ID matches a "bad"
machine, the call is rerouted to a regular fax not off of a TDM or ATA but
forwarded to a POTS line (actually another channel on the same PRI - love
that Adtran!)

In my tests, routing thru VoIP or out thru a TDM or ATA just plain doesn't
work, or doesn't work enough for it to be usable. You wold serve your
customer best by having Asterisk with SpanDSP at the telco demarc rx the fax
directly, and avoid shunting the call to an ATA or TDM.