[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Sep 14 10:00:12 MST 2005

> We have another box that is running 1.0.7 with H.323 to an H.323
> gatekeeper and it is just acting as voicemail for a Cisco Call
> Manager.
>   It crashes at least 1-2 times per week.  Starting asterisk again
> brings it back up.  I don't know why it happens and I have been unable
> to get anything useful from the logs.  It just dies.
>
> That said, from what I've seen in the past, if you are running SIP, it
> is very stable.  I know I've seen people mention that they have to
> restart it every week or so, but I haven't seen that so far.

It's not necessarily any specific component of asterisk or version of
asterisk that can cause instability.  It might have nothing to do
with asterisk.  One of our boxes is running 1.0.7 (with SIP phones)
and it has run like a champ for months with no incidents.  I had
another box that crashed frequently until I was able to come up with
a good combination of hardware and software versions.

There are so many factors involved.  I read a post on this list not
too long ago that said the poster has about 30 different asterisk
boxes running, and they are all identical - asterisk version,
asterisk patches, OS version, OS patches, telephony hardware, general
computer hardware, right on down to the bios revision on the
motherboard.  That was the only way he was able to maintain
consistent stability across all 30 boxes.  I wish I had time to be
that organized!

- Noah