[Asterisk-Users] NAT and SIP.conf update.

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Tue Sep 13 03:36:18 MST 2005

Really?  I've found that a dynamic domain name --> IP linkup didn't work
with Asterisk - it seemed to caches the IP of the domain name and didn't
re-lookup the IP until after a reload.

Derek

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

>> I've found a novel work-a-round:  I have a server on the Internet  in
>> a data centre that maps a real static address to the dynamic IP
>> address of the computer connected via. the ISP.  I've got a script
>> that runs on the client ISP connected machine (its running Linux an
>> the script is in the ppp-up.d directory so runs automatically
>> everytime the pc reconnects and gets a new dynamic IP) - this  client
>> script (perl) talks to the server daemon (also perl) and  then the
>> data centre server re-maps the static IP to the dynamic IP  - it
>> redirects (using socat - excellent software!) to redirect the  IAX2
>> port and the RTP ports between the IP addresses so that the  normally
>> dynamic IP addressed asterisk server now always has a real  live
>> static IP address.
>>
>> This solution is working very well between two remote offices
>> passing calls between the central data server computer.
>>
>> I wonder would this solution help many people? I now couldn't live
>> without it. If other people are interested I could have a little
>> business renting people static mapped IP addresses.
>

> Who needs that when there's dyndns and similar free services which
> are even supported by many routers? I have a dyndns hostname and my
> router is configured to contact the dyndns site whenever the IP on
> the public side changes. Works very well for my Asterisk setup at home.
>
> jens

Derek Conniffe
Rivertower Ltd
Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400
Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719
United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
International: 00 353 1 244 9719
Derek Conniffe DDI: 01 201 0146 (International: 00 353 1 201 0146)
Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
Fax: 01 201 0085 (International: 00 353 1 201 0085)
Email: Derek at rivertower.ie
Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com