[Asterisk-Users] NAT and SIP.conf update.

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Tue Sep 13 01:15:37 MST 2005

No always possible to get a fixed IP address from your provider - in
Ireland anyway.

I've found a novel work-a-round:  I have a server on the Internet in a
data centre that maps a real static address to the dynamic IP address of
the computer connected via. the ISP.  I've got a script that runs on the
client ISP connected machine (its running Linux an the script is in the
ppp-up.d directory so runs automatically everytime the pc reconnects and
gets a new dynamic IP) - this client script (perl) talks to the server
daemon (also perl) and then the data centre server re-maps the static IP
to the dynamic IP - it redirects (using socat - excellent software!) to
redirect the IAX2 port and the RTP ports between the IP addresses so
that the normally dynamic IP addressed asterisk server now always has a
real live static IP address.

This solution is working very well between two remote offices passing
calls between the central data server computer.

I wonder would this solution help many people? I now couldn't live
without it. If other people are interested I could have a little
business renting people static mapped IP addresses.

Derek

Bob Goddard wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 Aug 2005 09:44, razza wrote:
>

>>I have a standard BT home DSL, which means I cannot have a static IP
>>address, therefore i'm forced to use NAT, I subscribe to a DDNS service
>>and have written a VB app which polls the router every 10 seconds and
>>updates the DDNS if appropriate.
>>

>Ditch your ISP and go with one who will give you a static IP.

Derek Conniffe
Rivertower Ltd
Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400
Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719
United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
International: 00 353 1 244 9719
Derek Conniffe DDI: 01 201 0146 (International: 00 353 1 201 0146)
Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
Fax: 01 201 0085 (International: 00 353 1 201 0085)
Email: Derek at rivertower.ie
Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com