[Asterisk-Users] Skype purchased by Ebay 2.6 Billion

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon Sep 12 13:13:37 MST 2005

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:
> Ebay is seething with rage as yahoo took 40% stake in Alibaba in China.
> They want to counter that by acquring a large user base in Asia, so that
> their experience in Japan (Where ebay was kicked out completely by local
> players) is not repeated in China and India.
>
> This is an example of how you could make mistakes, if you don't keep
> your cool and learn to count from 1 to 10 before you prss the trigger on
> the gun.

Stir into that several other aspects of Skypedom:

* Skype is, for better or worse, perceived as the spawn of Kazaa.  Big
Red Flag.

* All aspects of their operations are secret, proprietary, undocumented,
however you want to call it.  Not just closed, CLOSED.

* Part of their friendly user experience is derived from cheating on
accepted norms of network behavior.  In particular, some opine that if
network managers eventually are able to stop Skype from hijacking port
80, there may be some operational difficulties ahead.

* How will Skype handle CALEA requirements without opening themselves up?

* How will Skype handle E911 in the US, given its huge footprint outside
of the US?

* I agree with two premises seen in this thread: Ebay is now a lumbering
giant, and it's hard to imagine them being fleet enough to move smoothly
into the turbulent waters of VoIP.  Second, the almost certainly could
have built something as good as Skype with the $2.6B.

* Googletalk is "open," with pretensions of opening up even further in
the future.  That should count for something in the mindshare wars,
although it doesn't right now.

Time will tell, as it tells all tales.

B.