[Asterisk-Users] High system load and system freezes

Joerg Furrer Joerg.Furrer at ascom.ch
Mon Sep 12 19:22:52 MST 2005

Hi,

We run Asterisk/Zaptel 1.0.5-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7i on an Intel Celeron (1.4
GHz). The hardware setup contains - besides of a Wildcard TDM400 Card with
4 FXS modules and a Wildcard TE410P -  an additional TV/video card
(Hauppauge PVR-350).

Now we experience the following behaviour: As soon as the zaptel driver
modules are loaded (zaptel.o, qozap.o, wcfxs.o, wct4xxp.o, wcusb.o,
zaphfc.o and nothing else), the systems CPU load begins to increase
drastically. When looking at the kernel space load using the "top" tool,
about once a minute, the load increases to 100%, stays there for about 10s
and then goes back to normal (1-2%) again.

Running our video streaming appliaction (ivtv driver) together with
Asterisk/Zaptel lets the complete system freeze after some hours of normal
operation. It won't recover without a reboot (power switch). Running the
two on their own works without any problems (except of the CPU peak
described above).

Did anybody experience something similar in his/her setup? Is any hardware
"conflict"  (IRQ sharing etc.) concerning those cards known? Any hint is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

Joerg