[Asterisk-Users] Hotel Setup?

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Mon Sep 12 08:51:19 MST 2005

Have you seen the 3Com LAN-switch-in-a-wall-jack device?  It's a four
port device that could also be used for the guest's PC.  It can supply
PoE to the phone using a wall wart or PoE on the incoming LAN circuit.

You'll need some logic between Asterisk's management interace and the
property management system's (PMS) telephone interface.  The PMS will
expect call detail to be received in real time.

Depending on the PMS, outside calling is switched on during checkin and
switched off upon checkout.  Some PMS restrict toll calls if non-adults
occupy the room.  Also, some PMS have certain codes that the maids (and
supervisors) dial from the room to indicate availability.  And the staff
need to be aware of any 9-1-1 calls.

You'll have to be able to empty a room's voice mailbox upon checkin.
And some properties want the guest's name in the caller id.

So it's not simply putting a SIP phone in the room...