[Asterisk-Users] civil emergency comms: Asterisk + HAM

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 07:16:09 MST 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:02:56AM -0700, Derek Whitten wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 08:44, Mike M wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 04:43:26PM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> > >
> > > Mark Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > The suggestion that I have is for various areas to have dedicated civil
> > > emergency com units with strategic reserves of fuel (3-4 weeks worth),
> > > battery backups, etc.  These units would have links (fiber, microwave,
> > > and/or satellite, better to pick 2 of 3) to areas outside expected
> > > disaster zones.  Asterisk could then run across these links.  (Sattelite
> > > links would best be POTS-type).
> > >
> > Great suggestions but these are out of the realm of what a community of
> > individuals can do.  I'm thinking about what I as an individual am
> > capable of.
>
> These are great suggestions and I believe that it IS in the realm of
> 'what a community of individuals can do' .. It just depends on the
> community of individuals involved with the project..

Not to disparage you excellent ideas, but me-myself-and-I cannot
marshall a fiber optic link or microwave shot.

I'm thinking along the lines of maybe 4 times a year, heading out to a
remote area and calling people over a ham radio for practice.  I envision this
requiring coordination with several other people at most.  Being ad hoc,
adaptable, quick, mobile, and red-tape-less are my goals.

> my 0.02

Worth a good bit more than that, indeed.

--
Mike